Stirling Engine Twentieth century revival
During the early part of the twentieth century the role of the Stirling engine as
a 'domestic motor' was gradually usurped by the electric motor and small internal
combustion engines until by the late 1930s it was largely forgotten, only produced
for toys and a few small ventilating fans. At this time Philips was seeking to
expand sales of its radios into areas where mains electricity was unavailable and
the supply of batteries uncertain. Philips’ management decided that offering a low-
Encouraged by their first experimental engine, which produced 16 watts of shaft power from a bore and stroke of 30x25mm, a development program was begun. This work continued throughout World War II and by the late 1940s they had an engine – the Type 10 – which was sufficiently developed to be handed over to Philips’ subsidiary Johan de Witt in Dordrecht to be ‘productionised’ and incorporated into a generator set as originally intended. The result, rated at 200 watts electrical output from a bore and stroke of 55x27 mm, was designated MP1002CA (known as the 'Bungalow set'). Production of an initial batch of 250 began in 1951, but it became clear that they could not be made at a price that the market would support and the advent of transistor radios with their much lower power requirements meant that the original raison d'être for the set was disappearing. 150 these sets were eventually produced.